Lawn care tip: Getting rid of lawn mushrooms

Mushrooms are relatively harmless to your lawn, and the only risk they pose is to children or animals who might eat them. The best way to get rid of mushrooms is to figure out what is causing them to grow in the first place and remove that cause from your lawn.

Mushrooms are a sign that something is decaying beneath your lawn. Lawn care experts claim that it can be anything from a rotting tree stump to a long-ago buried family pet. Whatever the case may be, if you see mushrooms in your lawn, you’re going to have to dig a little deeper to find the culprit. Mushrooms are a fungus, so you need to remove what is causing the fungus to grow.

If you don’t want to disturb the earth for whatever reason (who knows WHAT you’ll find if you aren’t sure what’s causing the growth), there is another solution to neutralizing the fungal growth. Eliminate the surface mushrooms with a lawn mower or a shovel. Mix ¼ cup of dish liquid in with 3 gallons of warm water and saturate the ground with this mixture. If the area is larger, you might need to make more than one batch.

This process will need to be repeated in a week and possibly again within a couple of months, but eventually you should stop seeing mushrooms popping up in your lawn.

Call Now Button